Saturday, November 1, 2003

Profile: For the Art of It

By Susan Regier

John Murch purchased For the Art of It in October 1996. The store is located at 629 Richmond Street, London, one block north of Central. They are open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or call (519) 434-3014 for an appointment.

What are the various products/services that you offer?
Conservation framing, laminating and plaquing, original art by London area artists, and quality handcrafted gifts.

What made you decide to go into this type of business?

I liked the combination of the aesthetics of art, the craft of framing, and the element of personal service.

What is your background? (Education, training, work, etc.)

I have a university degree in Psychology and thirty years experience in social service and mental health management. My interest in art, photography, pottery, and framing related activities was avocational until I left Social Services and opened my own business.

Who is your target market and how do you reach them?

My target market is London families and businesses that appreciate quality work, personal service, and original art and gifts. I reach my customers primarily through personal referral by customers and by a visible location on Richmond Row.

What do you offer that’s different from your competitors?

All framing is done using only conservation materials designed to protect and preserve the customers’ art. Framed art on display is primarily original art by established London area artists. We carry a wide range of art in a small space, including Native Soapstone carving, glasswork, pottery, hand painted candles, sculpture, and hand painted greeting cards.

What is the biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome to get to where you are now?

It takes a long time to develop a loyal customer base in a very competitive market, and it takes a very large customer base to be successful in the art and framing business. My biggest challenge was maintaining patience for the business to grow naturally based on the quality of my work, the quality of the original art presented by London artists, and the benefits to the customer of personal service by the owner.

What do you enjoy most about your business?

I enjoy the business interaction and friendship of my regular customers, the chance to meet new people almost every day, the focus and attention to detail required in the actual framing process, and the privilege of being surrounded by original art. The biggest enjoyment comes when someone falls in love with a piece of art that I chose and framed.

How do you handle a hectic day?

I handle a hectic day by smiling and remembering I am human. I try to stay focused on the task at hand and remember what is important – service to the customer, quality work, and having fun.

How much has your business grown since the beginning?

The business has tripled in volume since the first year.

If you could go back to the beginning and change something, what would it be?

I would have moved to a Richmond Street location earlier and I would have kept a better customer database.

Where do you see your business in 3 years?

In three years I see my business in an expanded location with a larger gallery and more work and storage space.

Any additional comments?

Owning and running any small business is a challenge, but there are a lot of us and we don’t all have to keep reinventing the wheel. We learn the game a lot faster when we network. Networking is good for business, and it is also a good way to meet some of the most interesting independent thinkers in London.

Susan Regier is the publisher/editor of Networking Today and owner of Vantage One Writing, a professional writing service for businesses. (519) 471-8726 E-mail: regiers@vantageone.ca Web site: www.vantageone.ca Published in Networking Today, November 2003.

No comments: