Sunday, June 1, 2003

How to Brand an Illusion

By Barbara Bartlein

Nothing is more humbling than shopping for a bathing suit in Spring. I know. I just went through the annual ritual of tugging, pulling, inhaling, and swearing. Completely dejected and defeated, I complained to my sister-in-law, “There just aren’t suits and clothes designed for women my age. I’m looking for some summer attire somewhere between the low-cut ‘show the pierced naval’ and a baggy muumuu. Isn’t there anything for someone over 21 and younger than 80?”

She quickly guided me into a store called Chico’s. Established in 1983 on Sanibel Island in Florida, it currently has over 400 stores nationwide. A private label store, they design coordinated fashions with vibrant colours and unique accessories.

A sales clerk immediately introduced herself and insisted that she was available to help in any way. Calling me by name, she helped me pick out a stack of tops, jackets, and pants that were trendy, flattering, and interchangeable. But here was the best part: the sizes.

Chico does not label their clothes with traditional sizes of 8-10-12, etc. Nor do they feature the awful ‘plus” sizes that make it clear to the shopper that a stomach stapling is only months away. No, they size clothes with a 0-1-2-3. Imagine my surprise to find that I was a “1.” That’s right a “1.” I smiled with joy as I tried on the new outfits only to discover that for some cuts I was actually a “0” – smaller than I ever dreamed. I could hear the delighted customers in the other changing rooms discussing their small sizes. With my sister-in-law insisting, “you simply must put some meat on your bones,” I purchased over two hundred dollars of new clothes.

Now I am not completely delusional. I don’t think I was a size “1” even in first grade. But it made my day. Chico’s has branded an illusion and judging by what I saw, the customers love it. What kind of excitement is in your brand? Some things to remember:

  1. Show me the money. Yes, everyone is tired of hearing about baby boomers. But they now have more wealth than any generation in history. While so many clothing stores were catering to teens and young adults, Chico’s has carved a niche for a clientele with enormous buying power. Are there any additional products or services that you could brand and market to the older adult?

  2. Find a need. Take a look at your existing customer base. What problems are they complaining about? These are opportunities to expand your product lines and offer new goods and services. Even more importantly, your efforts will increase customer loyalty.

  3. Love the illusion. People like to believe good things, even when they know they aren’t true. They want to believe that they will travel in the outback with their SUV’s, have more fun drinking Pepsi, and have fewer wrinkles with a new cosmetic cream. Smart companies sell more than just a product or brand. They sell an illusion that allows people to believe in their solution. How do your products and services solve problems for your customers?

  4. Build a brand that’s unique. You’re not selling a Volvo – you’re selling safety. You’re not promoting financial services, you provide piece of mind. Use your brand in everything that you do and have it stand for something important to the customer. Remember; sell the sizzle, not the steak.
Sign up for Barbara's FREE email newsletter at www.barbbartlein.com.

Barbara Bartlein is the PeoplePro™. She helps businesses sell more goods and services by developing people. She can be reached at 888-747-9953, by email at: barb@barbbartlein.com or visit her Web site at www.ThePeoplePro.com.

Published in Networking Today, June 2003.

No comments: