Saturday, September 1, 2007

Big Apple Networking Ideas

By Karen Susman

Recently, I went to New York City to visit my son and daughter-in-law. I had time to roam around on my own as they readied their co-op for sale. Rubbing shoulders with 8 million people creates some good networking opportunities if you aren't afraid to talk to strangers. Here are a few Big Apple Ideas for you:

  1. Be ready to network everywhere all the time. This doesn't mean selling. This doesn't mean you have to attend official networking functions. This means talk to strangers wherever you are. (I'm assuming you are using good judgment in your selection of strangers.)
  2. Ask open-ended questions. Be curious. Listen. Find commonalities. Look for opportunities. Follow up. On Saturday, I got up early to be in the Today Show outside audience. Why? Because it's fun to wave at the camera as it pans the crowd and call your family to ask, "Did you see me? Did you see me?" I also love to see celebrities. (OK. I'm shallow.) It's easy to start conversations with people at the Today Show or at any event because you have built in commonalities. I visited with a woman who had brought her two daughters and her granddaughter from Florida to celebrate her granddaughter's 14th birthday. We talked about many things while waiting for our 1.5 seconds of fame.

  3. The mom and I had several things in common. She mentioned she couldn't travel often because of her job. I asked her what she did. She told me and asked what I did. I asked for her card after she expressed interest in my speaking for her organization in Florida. I had no cards with me. If she hadn't had any cards either, I did have paper and pen and would have taken down her information so I could follow up with her.

  4. Later that day, I waited in the cancellation line outside a Broadway theater in hopes that someone would want to return or sell a ticket for the matinee performance. A woman yelled, "Anyone want to buy a single ticket?" and I whipped out my checkbook. Since I purchased one of her three tickets, she and I were seated next to each other in the play and had time to visit before the curtain went up. Again, through asking open-ended questions, I learned we had several commonalities. I listened to her story with great interest because it was a fascinating saga. I also wanted to spot any opportunities. Right before the curtain went up, I asked for her card and promised to send her mine.

  5. Plan ahead. I always try to turn a trip into a business trip. Not only is it good for tax purposes, but why not meet potential clients, let people know what you do or learn something beneficial wherever you go? I tracked down several engineering firms I wanted to connect with. I emailed twenty firms, sent post cards and called to introduce myself and ask for a brief meeting.

  6. Ask for help. I asked my local engineering contacts for their NYC contacts. My Denver contacts sent their NYC contacts emails about me, which greased the wheels and gave me credibility.

  7. Connect on a personal level. One NYC contact said it would be hard for her to squeeze me in. I said I'd bring her something sweet from Sarabeth's, a well-known NYC bakery. She emailed back that she'd exercise an extra hour over the weekend in anticipation of the Sarabeth's goodies. Suddenly, we were on a human-to-human level, bonded by our mutual love of pastry, instead of a busy manager to eager vendor level.

  8. Start your meeting with conversation that builds a connection. I made an appointment for a 15 to 20 minute meeting with Mr. Big. He had already told me his firm has someone fabulous on staff to provide presentation skills training. I wondered how to start our meeting in a way that would overcome his belief that he doesn't need me. While I was sitting in the waiting room, I noticed that the receptionist, Yolanda, who had offered me water, had a plaque honoring her for exemplary customer service. Yolanda was as warm as New York City in July. I listened as she answered the phones and chatted up a storm with every caller. I told her that her award was well deserved. She thanked me and her wide grin revealed her pride and pleasure in my noticing. When Mr. Big entered the waiting room to fetch me, I told him in front of Yolanda that I've had the pleasure of visiting with a company award winner. This started us off on the right foot before we walked through the door of his office.

  9. Leave behind some information, but not too much. I'd packed a sheaf of glowing testimonials and other leave behind material, but I didn't give Mr. Big anything until he mentioned a need. Then I handed him something that answered his need or supported my credibility in that area. Less is more.

  10. Follow up immediately. In one of the many tourist treasure shops, I purchased ten postcards for one dollar. I brought stamps with me. I mailed several to business contacts. I followed up my appointment with Mr. Big by jotting a note on a Statue of Liberty post card and mailing it immediately. Will he read it? Sure. You have to read a post card. Besides, he and I were talking about the need to follow up and keep in touch. Thus, I demonstrated that I walk my talk. Do I have confirmed business from this impromptu networking? Not yet, but I'm closer than I would have been if I weren't open to networking all the time and everywhere.

  11. Try approaching strangers and being open to the possibilities. You could be sitting in the second row orchestra of a hit Broadway play and getting business at the same time. Bravo!

Karen Susman is a Speaker, Trainer, Coach, and Author of 102 Top Dog Networking Secrets. Karen works with organizations that want to maximize performance. Programs include Humour at Work; Balance In Life; Networking Skills; Presentation Skills; and Building Community Involvement. Order new guidebooks on humour, networking, time management, and community involvement by calling 1-888-678-8818 or e-mail Karen@KarenSusman.com.. www.KarenSusman.com.

Published in Networking Today, September 2007

No comments: