Saturday, November 1, 2008

Six Steps Guaranteed to Keep Your Audiences' Attention.

By Karen Susman

Include the following elements in this exact order in your next presentation. Your audience will stay with you until you take your bow. Be prepared for ear-splitting applause.

Let's assume you're speaking to potential customers for your big, beautiful beanbag chairs.

  1. I will not waste your time. ("In the next few minutes, I'd like to demonstrate the comfort and construction of these big, beautiful beanbag chairs." Or, "I'd like to begin my brief remarks by asking you to remember the last time you were really comfortable in a chair.") Your audience will silently or audibly sigh with relief. You're promising not to be a big windbag about your beanbag.

  2. I know who you are. ("As people who deserve to relax after work, you need to..." Or, "Several of you mentioned to me that your work involves lots of reading." You must know your audience and you must let them know early on that you do. Each audience feels it is unique, so even if your message is the same, a reference to engineers when you're speaking to dentists will divert their attention.

  3. Here's how my speech is organized. ("The three points I want to cover are..." Or, “There are two prime ways to arrange big, beautiful beanbag chairs. The first is..." Or, "I plan to describe our proposal, demonstrate it and then ask for questions.") Since so many speakers aren't organized, your audience will be impressed and relieved that you are. You will make it so much easier for your audience to follow you if you announce your agenda.

  4. I know my subject. (Without sounding pompous or overbearing: "When we evaluate big, beautiful beanbag chairs..." Or, "During the last decade designing furniture, we..." Or, "When I was interviewed by Chair Monthly on this issue...") If you don't know your subject, you shouldn't be speaking on it. Build credibility early.

  5. Here is my most important point. ("The one thing I want you to remember is...." Or, "The most important point to take from here is..." Or, "Write this one thing down...") this will alert your audience that something important is about to be said. This will jerk your audience back into attention mode.

  6. I am finished. ("I want to leave you with this one thought..." Or, "Before I conclude, let me tell you...") Give a great closing story, or quote, or wish for the audience. Be sure to include a call to action. "Come to our store on 5th and Main today." Or, "Visit our Web site, www.bigbeautifulbeanbagchairs.com." Conclude once. Many speakers give audiences whiplash by concluding five or six times.
Organize your remarks with these six steps in mind and you'll have your audience with you every step of the way.

Adapted from The Overnight Guide To Public Speaking by Ed Wohlmuth.
Used with permission

Karen Susman is a Speaker, Trainer, Coach, and Author of 102 Top Dog Networking Secrets. Karen works with organizations that want to maximize performance. Programs include Humour at Work; Balance In Life; Networking Skills; Presentation Skills; and Building Community Involvement. Order new guidebooks on humour, networking, time management, and community involvement by calling 1-888-678-8818 or email Karen@KarenSusman.com. www.KarenSusman.com.

Published in Networking Today November 2008

No comments: