Friday, October 1, 2004

How to Get People to Return Your Calls

By Karen Susman

When was the last time a live human answered your phone call?
When was the last time the person you wanted to reach answered the phone?
When I answer my phone, people are always surprised to talk to me. Actually, we've become so used to reaching a voice mail or a series of prompts that we plan to leave a message instead of having a conversation.

In I'll Get Back To You, by Robert Shook and Eric Yaverbaum, you'll find 156 strange and stranger ways to get your phone calls returned.

Here are a few:

  1. Leave this message. "This is _____, and I'm returning your call. My number is 000-0000." Busy people make so many calls they don't remember whom they called. It's easier for them call back than to check their records.

  2. Wendy Basil suggests telling the gatekeeper, "I need to talk to her today. I also have a call into (competitor's name), but I wanted to talk to her first."

  3. Wendy also suggests, "I'm calling because your name came up at a meeting and I thought you'd like to know what was said about you."

  4. Michael Lee says he calls the CEO's office and asks the assistant whom he should speak to about his issue. Then, he contacts that person's assistant or voice mail and says he was referred by the CEO's office. This is true and usually gets a good response.

  5. Robert Shook offers this advice if you've made several calls without getting past the gatekeeper. "Bob, (Your new best friend.) I've called many times, and I have yet to talk to Ms. Smith. I realize there's a thin line between persistence and making a pest of myself. I hope I'm not making a pest of myself...." After a pause, Bob usually responds, "Not at all, Mr. Shook. You're just being persistent." Shook says, "I wouldn't be calling so often if it weren't important. I'd really appreciate it if you'd put my call through." Bob replies, "Let me see what I can do."

  6. This anonymous suggestion may work with people you know or know have a sense of humor. Leave a message like, "Hi, Bill. It's me, Carol. I just wanted to check the spelling of your last name, because I'm making out my will."
If you have any methods for reaching people and for getting them to call you back, let me know. In the meantime, give me a call (toll free) at 1-888-678-8818. You'll like what you hear.

Karen Susman is a Speaker, Trainer, Coach, and Author of 102 Top Dog Networking Secrets. Karen works with organizations that want to maximize performance. Programs include Humour at Work; Balance In Life; Networking Skills; Presentation Skills; and Building Community Involvement. Order new guidebooks on humour, networking, time management, and community involvement by calling 1-888-678-8818 or e-mail Karen@KarenSusman.com.. www.KarenSusman.com.

Published in Networking Today, October, 2004.

No comments: