Tuesday, February 1, 2005

Outside of the Zone

By Janet Christensen

The conversation between me and a trusted colleague about me feeling stuck went like this...

Me: “I am torn between wanting to stay close to home and 'nest' and putting myself out there on a bigger scale.”

C: “What will happen if you stay close to home and 'nest'?”

Me: “I will live to regret it. I will regret missed opportunities.”

C: “What will happen if you put yourself out there on a bigger scale?”

Me: “I will have success.”

C: “What is the difference?”

Me: “Staying home to nest comes from my mind, my limiting beliefs. Putting myself out there comes from my heart.”

C: “What do you need to do?”

Me: “It is a 'no-brainer.' My brain is the source of my limiting beliefs and fears. I need to come from my heart and put myself out there.”

This brief conversation had a huge impact on me.

Notice all of my answers came from within me. My colleague was asking questions, not dispensing advice. In knowing what questions to ask, my colleague was connected to his wisdom. In answering the questions, I connected to my own inner knowing, my own wisdom.

When I said that what I need to do is a “no-brainer,” I meant that in two ways. Not only was the answer obvious – what we would call a “no-brainer”; the solution was to get outside of my mind and its limiting thoughts and beliefs, to not allow brain interference through negative and limiting self-talk.

The little voice inside of me wants to stick with what it knows. It wants me to stay in my comfort zone. It does not want adventure. It does not want unfamiliar and risky things. The prospect of learning, doing, and challenging myself fills it with fear. What if I fail? What if I succeed? What if? What if? What if? I realized that ultimately, my biggest risk would be to stay in my comfort zone. This conversation gave me insight and clarity to allow me to get out of my own way. It gave me freedom and confidence to move outside of, and thus expand, my comfort zone.

It is only through getting outside of our comfort zone that we learn, grow, and mature. That is how a child learns to crawl and walk, and there are bumps and bruises along the way. From infancy on, we are constantly moving outside of our comfort zone to learn to talk, read, ride a bicycle, swim, drive a car, be in relationships, use a computer, start a new job, and on and on. What was once a daunting task, like driving a car, becomes second nature with practice. Do you have to consciously think about the steps involved in making a right hand turn, or are you on auto pilot most of the time when you drive? We are constantly moving outside of our comfort zone, and as we do that, our comfort zone expands with us.

What is your little voice saying to you? Is it encouraging you to stay in your comfort zone? Is it telling you that life would be simpler, safer, and more secure if you stay where you are? Does it say things like “The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.”?

Think of the times you have dared to move outside of your comfort zone in order to learn, grow, and mature and the successes you have experienced as a result. I invite you to have more “no-brainers” and trust the adventurer within. Take a chance on yourself and spend more time outside of the zone.

Janet Christensen passionately inspires potential as a professional speaker, Passion Map facilitator and writer. She can be reached through her company Unlimiting Potential at (519) 434-5397 or toll free 1-888-779-3061 fax (519) 434-8344 email info@janetchristensen.com Web site www.janetchristensen.com. Published in Networking Today, February 2005.

No comments: